http://searchcloudcomputing.techtarget.com/tip/Amazon-Kinesis-benefits-and-alternatives (registration required)
This article describes the benefits and limitations of Amazon Kinesis, a managed, scalable, cloud-based service that allows real-time processing of large data streams.
Among the advantages are:
- The speed with which it can be provisioned and scaled.
- The ability to absorb data from anything that can call a Web service.
- Real-time or near real-time access to large stores of data, which is particularly useful to any organization with such a need.
Among the disadvantages are:
- Shortage of plugins, making it necessary to use custom code that can be obtained either from Amazon or developed privately.
- Managing data streams’ scaling by a “shard,” which is best handled by using the Kinesis Client Library.
- Although it is relatively easy to attach applications as producers to a stream, there are nontrivial implications.